We’re gearing up for a new ENDURANCE RIDE series at the Greater Grand Rapids YMCA…FTP 90!
Demo classes underway this week…the 8-week series officially kicks off next week.
In my ongoing preparation for this program, I wanted to share several resources with Y members and other cycling enthusiasts in the community. These are just a few of the things I found, and shared with the group:
Naturally, we tend to focus on the physical aspects of a fitness plan…this post at http://www.bicycling.com is a great reminder of the mental training we need to reach the goal.
– Check for optimal BIKE FIT, for comfort and safety…seat position, foot placement, handle bar position and hand placement.
– Review and understand how to switch between the 4 modes of training with the IC-6 LifeFitness bike monitor: Quick Start, Power Training, Heart rate Training, Fitness Tests (specifically the 5 min FTP – Functional Threshold Power test).
– Make a plan to retest or at least validate FTP once every 2-3 months, depending on how often you ride.
– Understand the value and relative intensity of all 5 Power Zones and how they relate to RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion)…a scale from 1 – 10:
- Zone 1 – White – RPE ~1-3
- Zone 2 – Blue – RPE ~3-4
- Zone 3 – Green – RPE ~5-6
- Zone 4 – Yellow – RPE ~7-8
- Zone 5 – Red – RPE ~9-10
– Maintain FOCUS, AWARENESS and a state of MINDFULNESS throughout the ride…from Warm-up stage through the Cool down.
– Assess your BREATHING, BODY POSTURE and FORM.
– Find and periodically reset the balance between PACE / RPM / CADENCE and LEVEL / RESISTANCE / GEAR.
– Take in the RHYTHM of the music and let VISUALIZATION power you through challenging moments.
– AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…have fun and ENJOY THE RIDE!