If my last post way back in April started off with WTF, I have no idea how to start this post, more than 7 months later! Here’s a SHOUT OUT to John Bratton, owner of California Cycle Path, for an Instagram PM and kick in the ass to get back on the blog…Thanks John!
So much has changed over these past several months, but if we focus on Studio Cycling…here’s my list so far:
Peloton soars as fitness / cycling enthusiasts let their studio or gym memberships lapse and join the already growing segment of fitness…and get their fitness fix on-demand, at home
Studios, including the large US franchise Flywheel Sports, close permanently, partially, or owners hang on and ride the storm out
Studios get creative and stream sessions on line, some even renting their idle equipment…others host outdoor classes like the global boutique franchise Soul Cycle
And by late summer, as communities start to re-open, gyms and studios cautiously re-start their indoor programs with social distancing, strict sanitation, mask requirements and participant pre-screening…this is an FAQ from the local YMCA.
A few other non-cycling, personal highlights for me over these pandemic-crippled months:
- Enjoying time with a beautiful new baby girl…and first grandchild!
- Welcoming a new son-in-law to the family and celebrating the special day with a micro-event in Chicago
- Adjusting to working from home as an essential worker for an essential business
- Spending more time at the northern MI cottage
- Cutting back on social media and blog posts
- Spending more time outside…walks, on the bike, in the water, and on the hammock
- Cutting out alcohol (except for hand sanitizer) and limiting caffeine
- Adding various forms of cannabis (the full spectrum) to my weekly wellness (flower, oil, tincture, edible, etc.)
Despite the devastating impact of COVID-19 on our public health and economy…life has been good in my small corner of the world.
For the rest of 2020 and into 2021, I’ll continue to work my day job from the home office, but for Studio Cycling, it’s a light schedule back at the Y! Safety protocols at the Y require social distancing and use of face masks while in the facility and when participating in any group exercise class…it’s not great, but it is doable.
Here are a couple 45-50 minute playlists with summary profile notes from my first few classes at two of the YMCA locations in suburban Grand Rapids.
I hope you, your family, friends, and co-workers are all well! ENJOY THE RIDE…and cast your VOTE this important election!
- Warm up – Nobody’s Love / Maroon 5
- Alt Seated / Standing Flat – In the House / Outasight
- First Hill Climb (Alt Seated / Standing) – Trouble’s Coming / Royal Blood
- Quick Seated Flat…drill work – Airbeat / Cubicolor
- Jumps – Withdrawal / Max Frost
- Sprints – Hallucinogenics (Seeb Remix) / Matt Maeson, Seeb
- Quick Seated Flat – We All Have Dreams / Louis The Child, K.Flay
- Progressive Climb (Seated to Standing) – The Business / Tiesto
- Sprints – Hot for Teacher / Van Halen
- RIDERS’ CHOICE…Free Track – Second Hand Heart / Ben Haenow, Kelly Clarkson
- Final Climb – Courage to Change / Sia
- Final Sprints – Ocean / Sick Individuals, Justin Prime
- Cool down & stretch – Welcome Back / Ali Gate, Alessia Cara
- Warm up – Married In Vegas (Matoma Remix) / The Vamps, Matoma
- Seated Flat with quick pick ups (2 intervals)- Fire / Ytram, Elderbrook, Martin Garrix
- Alt Seated / Standing Climb – My Vision (The Vision Remix) / Jakatta, Joey Negro, Seal, The Vision
- Increasing cadence and resistance – Visitor / Of Monsters and Men
- Power Climb (Alt Seated / Standing) – Let Me Think About It (Sansixto Remix) / Fedde Le Grand, Ida Corr, Sansixto
- Jumps – X / Jonas Brothers, KAROL G
- Active Recovery (Alt Seated, Standing) – Unknown Song / Joe Goddard, Hayden Thorpe
- Sprints – Your Man / Joji
- Seated to Standing Climb with increasing resistance – Carry On / The Score, AWOLNATION
- RIDERS’ CHOICE…Extended Free Track – Pomegranate (Jay Robinson Remix) / deadmau5, The Neptunes, Jay Robinson
- Alt Seated / Standing stretch – Drivin’ Thru the Night / Petit Biscuit
- Final Climb (Alt Seated / Standing) – Dead Man Walking / Skillet
- Sprints home – Alive / NEEDTOBREATHE
- Cool down & Stretch – Be Like That / Kane Brown, Swae Lee, Khalid
In the News:
Benefits of Indoor Cycling